It may be 30 degrees outside, but today it feels like Spring, and not just because the sky is a blue, and the sun is bright, but because I have just completed the 4th Quarter MCBA Activities Schedule Summary for Bar and Foundation leadership. The MCBA calendar is always jam-packed as we enter the end of the bar year in June, and 2013 may prove to be a record breaker.
If you don’t have enough on your Spring calendar, please print out this blog, and note some of these opportunities on your calendar. Here is My (Mary’s) List of the Top 10 Things to Do this Spring:
10. Law Day Luncheon — Wednesday, May 1st — National Keynote Speaker, Vernā Myers, will be speaking about how to improve retention of diverse and talented people through a commitment to inclusion. Her message is powerful! Award recipients this year are: C. Bruce Lawrence, the Rodenbeck Award; the Honorable Francis Affronti, the Outstanding Jurist Award; and the Honorable Patricia Marks, the Foundation’s Humanitarian Award. Come join us in celebrating your colleagues. The luncheon will also serve as the launch of the Foundation’s Annual Raise the Bar Campaign, and there will be a table at the luncheon where you can make your donation on the spot!
9. New Admittee Attorney Night, Tuesday, May 14th, at the Red Wings Game in the Hardball Cafe, sponsored by the MCBA’s Young Lawyers Section. Space is limited, so RSVP by May 7. Please join us to welcome all of our newly admitted attorneys.
8. Telesca Center for Justice Lobby Dedication & Donor Reception, Tuesday, May 21st. A momentous occasion that will mark the completion of Phase II of the co-location initiative. We will be celebrating the donors and volunteers that have made our shared vision a reality.
7. Rochester Diversity Legal Clerkship Program Welcome Reception, Tuesday, June 4th, at the TCFJ. Please join our dedicated clerkship employers, Bar and Foundation leadership in welcoming our 2013 summer clerks. There are 11 talented and eager 1L law students looking forward to learning more about our legal community and the Rochester community.
6. Celebrating our new New York State Bar President, David Schraver on Thursday, June 6th. Nixon Peabody, NYSBA and the MCBA are joining forces to celebrate the start of David’s term as President. We are very proud of David and his remarkable dedication to the ABA, NYSBA and the MCBA.
5. Take a break from all the social activities, and be sure to review your CLE credits because we have an incredible line-up of CLE’s from now until the end of June. More than 30 programs to choose from and that does not include the dozens more that you can access online. To learn more, visit: http://www.mcba.org/Members/CLE/. There is something for everyone. And if you have not yet heard, the Center for Education, through a grant to the Telesca Center, just recently completed a technology facelift, complete with an improved audio and visual setup that allows you to see the presenters, even from behind those darn pillars, as well a hearing loop for those that may be deaf or hard of hearing. The grant was made possible with support from Senator Joe Robach.
4. 4th Department Celebration of our two new Court of Appeals Judges, on Monday, June 17th. The Bar Association of Erie County, the MCBA, and the Onondaga County Bar Association, along with the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, will be hosting a joint reception to welcome our new Court of Appeal Judge, the Honorable Jenny Rivera, and the final candidate to be named very shortly by the Governor. Details are still coming together.
3. Young Lawyers Silent Auction, set for Tuesday, June 18th, will be once again raising funds to support Rochester Teen Court, in this their 15th year. Our very special guest, and Young Lawyers champion, retired Chief Judge Judith Kaye, will be returning to Rochester to bring her positive encouragement and her generous spirit to ensure our success. If you have not attended this event in the past, we encourage you to make this the year you do. Not only a great event, but you will see the amazing group of new and upcoming young leaders of this bar association in action.
2. Committee & Section Year End Activities will be plentiful if you are an active member of a committee or section there will be lots of end of bar year events. Family Law will once again be celebrating a successful year end at Debbie Indivino’s house on June 27th. The Litigation, Trusts and Estates, and Real Estate will also be holding their year end lunches, and Bankruptcy will be hosting their annual picnic in the park. Watch the MCBA website for details on all of these events.
1. The Installation of our 118th President, Diane Cecero on Thursday, June 13th at the Hyatt Regency. In addition to celebrating Diane, we will be extending our gratitude to our current president, Connie Walker. Joining the celebration as always, and renewing their commitments will be the Foundation leadership.
There it is…one action-packed Spring, chock-full of opportunities to engage with your friends, colleagues, and members of the judiciary. Though a crazy busy time of year, I actually LOVE this quarter because no other time in the bar year demonstrates your incredible enthusiasm and commitment to the MCBA like this time of year. I know your busy in your practices, your chambers, your place of work, yet hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of you keep coming back to the Telesca Center for either a bar activity, to take a new pro bono case from VLSP, or to drop off your Campaign for Justice donation in order to avoid the phone call from dedicated campaign volunteer Mike Schnittman. Or to attend a CLE, to attend one of the many board meetings that go on with one of the partners in the building, or simply to catch up with colleagues at a 12 noon meeting.
On the last official day of the bar year, Friday, June 28th, the MCBA staff and I will be gathering late afternoon on my porch at home to celebrate the end of another great bar year. Though none of you will be present, we will raise a glass to all of you, celebrating your commitment to making us a great bar, because you just keep coming and coming, giving and giving, and so I simply want to continue to say, thank you and thank you…
Thanks for checking in…
Click here view the MCBA Calendar.